Warriston recipe of the month
A monthly recipe using produce harvested from the Warriston site. Find more in our recipe archive
Winter 2019—Spiced Pumpkin Soup
A warming soup for cold wintry days. Thanks to east side plotholder Barbara for the recipe and picture: The photo I took on holiday of a veg backstreet stall in a small town called Arqua Petrarca in Italy. There were baskets full of all types of weird and wonderful squashes that were absolutely beautiful.
- Prepare the onion and garlic; the ginger, chilli, and coriander; and the pumpkin
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over a medium heat
- Add the onion and garlic and fry, stirring, for about 4 minutes, until slightly softened
- Add the ginger, chilli, coriander, bay leaf and pumpkin and cook for another 3 minutes
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and leave to cool
- Transfer the soup to a food processor, or bowl (if using a handheld blender) and process until smooth (you may have to do this in batches)
- Rinse out the pan, then pour the soup back into the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Reheat gently, stirring, and then serve. Alternatively, this soup freezes well.