Warriston recipe of the month
A monthly recipe using produce harvested from the Warriston site. Find more in our recipe archive
December 2021—Squash gnocchi
It seemed to have been a good year for squashes in the allotments, and this recipe is surprisingly easy to make with a few simple ingredients. This gnocchi is great with a tomato sauce, a pesto, creamy mushroom sauce or just some melted butter and a sprinkling of sage. A lovely, comforting dish for the cold days. It can also be made ahead of time, and reheated. Give it a try!
- Cut the potatoes and squash into pieces, about 2.5cm cubes, and steam over simmering water for about 10-15 mins until just cooked and softening.
- Mash the potato and squash.
- Put the mash in a bowl with the egg yolk, flour, 1/2 tsp salt and some pepper. Mix it all together to form a sticky dough.
- Spoon the gnocchi into a piping bag with a large nozzle.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. You will need to cook the gnocchi in batches.
- Pipe short lengths of gnocchi (about 3cm) directly above water, using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors to snip the pieces off into the water.
- Simmer the pieces in water for about 1.5mins until the gnocchi rise to the surface.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl or dish. Carry on with the batches until all are cooked.
- Add to your chosen sauce or melted butter, or store some in the fridge for reheating