Warriston recipe of the month
A monthly recipe using produce harvested from the Warriston site. Find more in our recipe archive
June 2019—Chard, chickpea and mushroom curry
Thanks to east side plot holder Esme for providing another useful seasonal recipe—June is a good time for bright, crunchy chard.
This is quite a simple recipe that used the stalk and leaves of Chard.
- Heat a 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and spices, and cook for a minute or two more – add a splash of water if it looks like it's going to catch and burn.
- Remove the stalks from the chard and chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to the pan, cook for five minutes, then add the chickpeas.
- Crush the tinned tomatoes to a pulp with your hands or with a potato masher; add these, and all the juices from the tin.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the mushrooms until all liquid has been driven off and they take on some colour.
- Shred the chard leaves, add to the curry pot along with the mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes, stirring often, until the leaves are tender and wilted.
- Stir in the garam masala, add salt and pepper to taste and serve scattered with coriander, with rice and/or flatbread such as chapatis or naan breads.